Snack time! Do you ever get a little tired and unfocused in the afternoon? That happens to me all the time ... but a snack can help. It doesn't matter whether you are young or old, snacks can give you that afternoon boost to make it through and be super productive so that work (or homework) gets done fast.
Here are five yummy ideas for a fast, easy snack to keep you going all afternoon:
Cheese and Crackers
- Keep a selection of 2-3 cheeses in your fridge (just be sure to eat them!) so that you always have options. A few of my favorites: Cambozola, Mahon, Farmhouse Cheddar and Asiago. Don't forget the crackers (bread is good too - but it won't last as long).
Toast, Almond Butter and Apples
- A food editor friend of mine suggested this one: you spread toast (whole grain is best) with almond butter and top it with slices of apples. Quick, easy and very tasty.
Veggies and Hummus
- Carrots, cut up bell peppers, celery or whatever veggies you like are all you need to dip into some tasty hummus. Pick up a tub of your favorite flavor at the grocery store ... or you could make a really tasty one at home like this Roasted Garlic and White Bean Hummus
Yogurt with Berries and Granola
- This one is a favorite of my husband's. He takes plain Greek yogurt and mixes in chopped berries (strawberries or blueberries work great) and tops it with a sprinkle of granola. You can buy premade granola, or whip some up at home (check out this Cranberry-Pecan Granola
recipe - YUM!).
Apple Slices and Peanut Butter
- I love having a cool, crisp apple with creamy peanut butter ... the texture and taste of the two foods is just delicious - and sure to pick you up when you need it.
Sarah W. Caron (aka scaron) is a food writer, editor and blogger. Find her online at Sarah's Cucina Bella.