When I started thinking about doing an article about the worst food moments in my holiday memories, a dozen different instances jumped into my head. Narrowing it down was the challenge.
I’ve already told you all about the butternut squash incident
that happened one Thanksgiving. I made it, and it was absolutely awful. Then there was the year that we accidentally blew the motor out on a blender when we tried to improvise while making mashed potatoes was memorable -- but it’s not the worst.
Heck, the Christmas that I tried to make whipped cream in my shiny new Magic Bullet blender was frustrating too. I was ill prepared for how speedy the Magic Bullet would transform the heavy cream … and before I knew it, I had made some seriously sweet whipped butter. I ended up hand-whipping the cream on take two (since that was the only other option).
But my very worst holiday food memory comes from childhood (Mom, avert your eyes!). My mother had decided to make a fancy meal for New Year's and invited the whole family. The first course? A smoked salmon soup that called for liquid smoke.
Now, if you aren’t familiar with liquid smoke, it’s essentially smoke in liquid form. When you use it, you want to use it sparingly since it can be very strong. Unfortunately, there was a snafu that resulted in the whole bottle being used.
The smoky scent was overwhelming. Not only was the soup inedible, but it had to be quickly banished to the basement – in hopes that the house’s lingering smokiness might dissipate. Our house smelled for days.
What is your worst holiday food moment? Tell us below! Sarah W. Caron (aka scaron) is a food writer, editor and blogger who writes about family-friendly foods and raising a healthy family at Sarah’s Cucina Bella.