The Hunger Games is taking the world by storm!
The highly successful book trilogy by Suzanne Collins is being adapted for the big screen, with the first movie set to release on March 23. Why not host a Hunger Games themed party in honor of the long-awaited film? Here are some tips for celebrating the games, Capitol style!
Hunger Games-Inspired Foods
In The Hunger Games,
wealth and comfort are symbolized through the rich imagery of foods like lamb stew, orange chicken, and sweet breads. Here's a great recipe for one of my favorites, Peeta's Raisin Nut Bread
To get started, hunt and gather your ingredients and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
In a separate mixing bowl, beat together egg, butter, and applesauce.
Stir applesauce mixture into flour mixture until just blended.
Fold in walnuts and raisins.
Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Here are more ideas to help you serve the perfect decadent menu at your Hunger Games
Need invitations or cute party circles? Find free party printables, invitations, bookmarks, and more here
! Be sure to tell guests that their attendance at the Hunger Games is mandatory. Split guests into districts upon arrival to add some friendly competition to the party!
- Go all out and bring in house plants to create a forest-feel and transform your house into the Hunger Games scene.
- Print off a copy of the book cover and other movie images in poster size to hang on the walls for decoration.
- Buy toy parachutes and attach sweet prizes to them like cookies or other treats. Scatter these parachutes around for your guests to discover during the party!
- If you have a fireplace, this is a must! Fire was the symbol for Peeta’s and Katniss’ costumes during the opening ceremony of the Hunger Games.
- For table décor like plates and tablecloths, match the color scheme with black, orange, and yellow!
Let the Hunger Games Begin!
- Host an obstacle course of games with your guests to see who will end up as the winner of your Hunger Games! Bad weather in store? Stay inside and play Hunger Games trivia.
- Set up “training stations” with darts, Nerf guns, knot-tying, and water guns where guests can prepare for the games!
“Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor!”