I adore guacamole, but the stuff they sell at the grocery store always seems to fall flat. I really want to like the pre-made versions that you can buy, but the flavor doesn’t do it for me. Instead, I make my own.
Now, I am going to let you in on a little secret: making guacamole is just about the simplest thing ever. No, really.Chunky Guacamole
is as easy and tasty as it comes – creamy avocado is flavored with sweet tomatoes, zippy red onions and spicy jalapenos. Best of all? It only takes 10 minutes to whip up this near-authentic Mexican dip.
Start by cutting the avocado open and removing the pit (a good whack of a sharp knife and a little gentle rocking should pull it free). Then peel the avocado, and dice it. Finally, mash the avocado with a fork.
Next, you mix in the other flavors that will make this guacamole sublime. Diced fresh tomatoes, diced red onion, diced jalapeno, lime juice and salt and pepper. Mix that all up and you are totally good to go. Grab the serving bowl and the chips and offer it around.
But do watch out … someone may try to lick the bowl. It’s just that good.
Beyond chips, here are a few great ideas for using your easy guacamole:
- Serve it with a fried egg and refried beans in the morning for a super easy version of huevos rancheros.
- Spoon some onto tacos.
- 1 cup white rice + rinsed canned black beans + diced tomatoes + guac = really easy and satisfying lunch.
- Make a quick taco salad with seasoned ground beef, lettuce, tomatoes, cheddar and a dollop of guacamole.
- Top hard boiled eggs with a little scoop of guac for a fun alternative to deviled eggs.
- Spread some onto multigrain bread and top with turkey deli meat and cheddar cheese for a delicious mayo-alternative.
More Chip Dips
Dips are great any day of the week. Put out a few different options for an appetizer spread or tailgating party. Here are a few more dip recipes you might enjoy along with your guac:
Here's the Chunky Guacamole recipe:Sarah W. Caron (aka scaron) is a food writer, editor and blogger who writes about family-friendly foods and raising a healthy family at Sarah’s Cucina Bella.