Ingredients for making wheat or whole-wheat couscous:
Directions for cooking perfectly fluffy wheat couscous:
- Use a ratio of 1½ cups of water per 1 cup of couscous
- Bring the water to a boil either on the stove or in the microwave
- Pour the couscous into the boiling water, cover, and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- When the granules have absorbed all the liquid, fluff the cooked couscous with a fork and serve.
You can add flavoring to the water before boiling, if you’d like. Any of these works well:
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons butter
Or, instead of adding flavor to the water, substitute vegetable or chicken broth for the water instead!
What to serve with wheat couscous:
Couscous is a great side dish to serve with proteins such as:
- Salmon or other fish
- Stir-fried vegetables with tofu
- Pork chops
- Beef steaks
To ramp up your couscous as a side or even a main dish, add ingredients such as:
- Parmesan cheese
- Cooked peas
- Cracked pepper or lemon zest
- Herbs like dill, rosemary, or thyme
- Pine nuts, raisins or dried currants