Microwave pasta is an easy way to make a pasta dinner for one or two people. Just add water, microwave, then top with your favorite sauce. We have no shame in taking the easy route, and neither should you.
Maybe you’re a college student. Maybe you’re cooking a solo dinner. Or maybe there’s a shortage of clean pots in your house. Whatever the reason is that you need to know how to make pasta in the microwave, you’ve come to the right place. While it takes slightly longer to microwave pasta versus cooking it in boiling water (why? The water in the microwave has to come to a boil first, then cook, as opposed to starting at a boiling temperature), microwaving pasta a simple way to cook up an easy dinner with the least amount of hassle possible. After you’ve cooked up your noodles, all that’s left to do it add some sauce and a sprinkling of herbs or cheese, and you’ve got an ideal meal for one.
What You’ll Need
- Boxed pasta
- A large microwave-safe bowl
- A large plate
How to Microwave Pasta
2. Fill the bowl with water to the point where water tops the pasta by a couple of inches. Remember that the pasta will expand when it cooks, so be generous with the water. You can always drain the excess if you add too much.
3. Place the bowl on top of a plate and place both in the microwave. The plate will catch any water that may spill out as the water begins to boil.
4. Using the suggested cooking time on boxed pasta, add 3-4 minutes, and cook on the High setting. Keep an eye on your pasta as it’s cooking to ensure it’s not boiling over. Test for doneness after cooking. If it’s not quite cooked through, continue to microwave and test for doneness in 30-second intervals.
5. If the pasta is at desired doneness, strain the pasta from the water.
6. Place the pasta on a plate or in a bowl, sauce it up and dig in!