The season of blooming flowers, sunny days and weekend weddings is upon us!
If you're hosting a bridal shower, I'm sure you're thinking of ways to add a little charm to desserts and cocktails. Well, instead of spending so much time making fondant flowers, why not try using real, fresh flowers that are completely safe to eat, add color and can spruce up any cake!
You can do research on what flowers are edible, depending on the colors you want to use. I chose lavender, rose petals, carnations and marigold, which are all safe flowers to garnish and decorate with. Below are three fun ways you can use edible flowers in desserts and cocktails!
How adorable are these Mini Wedding Cakes
? You can easily make these using this cake mold
. I was actually surprised how easily they came out of the mold and looked perfect! The three tiers were screaming for flowers! And what a beautiful transformation it gave that little white cake!
I think these would be such a fun dessert to place at each table setting for a bridal shower. So every guest gets their own tiny wedding cake! AND you didn't have to spend hours decorating them. :)
- Bake the cake in the molds for 30 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Cut across the top to remove the extra cake that baked over.
- Frost each layer until the entire cake is covered.
- Lastly, place pre-washed marigold flowers wherever you want to add some color!
Usually I wouldn't say popsicles are a visual delight, but flower-filled popsicles are absolutely gorgeous! Featured are two versions - a clear and a creamy variety. The bouquet of a popsicle on the left above is amazing! Kudos to Marla Meridith of Family Fresh Cooking
! It looks too good to eat.
I also had fun with flowers and made a creamier popsicle version (right) incorporating rose and lavender petals. I used this amazing popsicle maker called a Zoku
, that worked perfectly to create a Lavender Vanilla Lemon Yogurt Pop
and a Lemonade Raspberry Rose Pop
! Using a favorite lemonade, Yoplait yogurt and some beautiful edible flowers, I was able to make some absolutely delicious popsicles!
- Gather your ingredients including fresh, edible flowers. Follow the instructions for whatever popsicle maker you're using. I used a Zoku.
- Scoop the yogurt into a piping bag. It's easier to squeeze the yogurt into the mold than scoop it. This way you will get a true half yogurt and half lemonade popsicle.
- Once that layer is almost frozen in the maker, you can add flowers and then pour in the lemonade. You can then add more flower petals.
- Let your pop freeze, remove and enjoy!
If you're throwing a shower for a bride, you MUST have a delicious signature cocktail to serve! Cosmopolitans are pretty girly and with the hint of pink, look fabulous with rose petals sprinkled on top. Now, they can be pretty strong, so don't be afraid to add in a little more cranberry juice or lime juice if you need. :)
1 oz vodka
1/2 oz Rose's® lime juice
1 oz cranberry juice
flowers - carnation, rose petals, lavender, marigolds
For more inspiration and ideas, here are five wonderful recipes that are screaming for fresh flowers! Each would be perfect for a bridal shower!