Easy Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Retro Recipe Redo is a new Quick Dish series that gives old recipe faves a mini makeover so they're easier and quicker for today's busy cooks.
This week's recipe redo: Easy Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
! Sharing DNA with its grandma that's made from scratch, this younger version starts with a Betty Crocker cake mix for quick prep so you can make it on the fly.
A faithful Tablespoon Facebook follower suggested we redo a pineapple upside-down cake last week when we debuted our RRR series with a Fruit-Bottom Cake
recipe. Pineapple Upside-Down Cake -- of course!
The original retro recipe!
So, I looked up the buttery retro from-scratch recipe
and made it just the same -- except I used a Betty Crocker cake mix instead of making the cake part from scratch. OMG. Delish wish on a plate. In-cred-i-ble.
I could end this article right here, cuz that's about how easy this new-fashioned version of this old-fashioned fave is:
Not kidding. That's it. Easy or what?
So, all that's left is to snag some cake-eating buddies and start inhaling this dessert while it's still warm. Plop whipped cream on top, if you'd like. Or not. It's a sweet, soft, caramel-covered delight even on its own.
- Lower the fat: Cut the butter down to 1/4 cup for the brown-sugar topping mixture if you really, really must. I looooove butter, so I kept it at the old-fashioned proportion, but (as much as I hate to admit it) the recipe works great either way.
- Flavor the water: Instead of plain water, use water plus juice from the pineapple can and maraschino cherries jar to add up to the same liquid measurement for the cake batter.
- Add other fruit: Peaches or blueberries or other stuff work with (or instead of) the pineapple. Experiment!
- Oh, nuts! Sprinkle chopped pecans or walnuts over the brown sugar to add the crunch you love.
- Gluten free: Yep, there's even an easy gluten free version that starts with a Betty Crocker gluten free cake mix.
More Pineapple Desserts
So you like pineapple recipes, huh? Lucky for you, we do too! Try one of these tasty temptations on for size:
Featured recipe: Easy Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
What old-fashioned recipe do you want to see made simpler for today?